Monday, April 25, 2011

One Thirty-Eight

After utterly failing to quit smoking on Wednesday, April 20, 2011, I was a tad disheartened. Quitting on a Wednesday (my busiest day at work) was not the brightest idea I've ever had. I was ready to snap by 10:30 AM.

So, I bummed a smoke and put my new plan into action. Saturday would be a much more suitable quit date and thus, I began mental preparation.

Friday night, I returned home. I had half a pack of cigarettes. I looked at my phone and saw that it was time. I pulled a cigarette from the pack, lit it up then tossed the pack and the lighter into the garbage. The time was 1:38 AM, April 23, 2011.

Saturday though... oh, Saturday was brilliant! I had a whole day to just reorganize books, go on walks, have a nice lunch and then just stare at the wall while the physical lack of nicotine set off all manner of alarms in my brain. By Saturday evening, I began to combat the psychological addiction at one of my old haunts and I'm proud to report I didn't have a single cigarette.

As a result of my last smoke’s timing, I do listen the The Misfits’ “We Are 138” a lot though. It’s almost an anthem, really. So long as it’s not Sinatra’s “My Way,” I think I can count that in the win column, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment